Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Don't stop thinking you can still do it!

I just read this post on the blog Yes & Yes: http://www.yesandyes.org/2012/06/32-new-things-run-5k.html and it comes in the wake of some friends running the Warrior Dash. I have always felt that long runs were beyond me and scary but wish I was the kind of person to take on that challenge. I also saw in that same post a list of the new things the writer wanted to accomplish this year before her birthday. Some she accomplishes and others make it on to the list for the following year. She doesn't stop dreaming and gives herself goals. I read somewhere in a business article that people who write down their goals for the future are significantly more likely to accomplish those goals for having gone through the process of clearly setting them. The combination of all these thoughts has reignited it for me - I need to make and write goals. I need my own list of dreams to sieze. I do believe that until we die we can always start something new and continue to find fulfillment. I just about the crosscountry trekker who began at 85 and is now spending his 90s backpacking across Europe! I CAN do that run and have already talked with friends about forming a team (We will be doing the conveniently located Hero Rescue next spring) I have time between now and then to start running but I have already talked about it with others - peer pressure can be a great motivator. But I can also do what the Yes and Yes author did and give myself a list of dreams to see if I can do within the next year. Some I will, some I won't, but I'll have a goal to work towards. When life gets too steady or boring or doldrums or just lacking some sparkle, I am sprinkling it with new and exciting. Time to start brainstorming...

No comments: